Feb. 28, 2014Corporate
Transfer of Marketing Rights for "Inteban", "Catlep" and "Drenison"
Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co., Ltd. ("DSP") (Head Office: Osaka, Japan; President: Masayo Tada) and Teikoku Seiyaku Co., Ltd. ("Teikoku Seiyaku") (Head Office: Kagawa, Japan; President Misako Fujioka) announced today that the two companies have concluded a Memorandum of Understanding concerning transfer of DSP's marketing rights for "Inteban®", "Catlep®" and "Drenison®" to Teikoku Seiyaku, effective July 1, 2014.
DSP's basic strategy to maintain and expand its business in Japan is to concentrate its resources on growth products such as strategic and new products, thus raising the ratio of drugs with exclusivity in its product line and realizing higher management efficiency. Teikoku Seiyaku draws on many years of experience and expertise in the field of anti-inflammatory and analgesic plasters to solidify its leader position in poultices, focusing on two directions: transdermal absorption and pain-relief. The agreement reached this time represents a good fit of the business strategies of the two companies.
Inteban® and Catlep® contain the same active ingredient, indometacin, which is a long-selling analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory agent since its first synthesis in 1963. Following their respective launches in 1968 and 1989, Inteban® and Catlep® have been used extensively in healthcare organizations. Both products are available in several different formulations so as to meet a variety of medical needs. Drenison® was first approved in the U.S. in 1969; import into Japan was approved in 1972. It is widely used for occlusive dressing to treat skin diseases.
The marketing and sale of Inteban®, Catlep® and Drenison®, together with the information provision to medical care providers, will continue to be made by DSP until June 30, 2014. Also, DSP will be responsible for the physical distribution of these products to pharmaceuticals wholesalers even after July 1, 2014 as contractor to Teikoku Seiyaku.
List of products for the marketing rights transfer
- Inteban® Ointment 1% (Externally-applied analgesic, anti-inflammatory agent)
- Inteban® SP25, Inteban® SP37.5 (Analgesic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory agent)
- Inteban® External use liquid (Externally-applied analgesic, anti-inflammatory agent)
- Inteban® Suppository 25, Inteban® Suppository 50 (Analgesic, anti-inflammatory agent)
- Inteban® Cream 1% (Externally-applied analgesic, anti-inflammatory agent)
- Catlep® Tape 35mg, Catlep® Tape 70mg (Externally-applied analgesic, anti-inflammatory agent)
- Catlep® Cataplasm 70mg (Externally-applied analgesic, anti-inflammatory agent)
- Drenison® Tape 4μg/cm² (Occlusive dressing therapy agent for skin diseases)
An outline of DSP:
- Representative: Masayo Tada, President
- Location: 6-8 Doshomachi 2-chome, Chuo-ku, Osaka, Osaka
- Establishment: May 1897
- Businesses: Manufacturing and sales of pharmaceuticals, food ingredients, food additives, veterinary medicines, diagnostics and others
- Accounting year: 12 months ending on March 31 each year
- Employees: 6,965 (consolidated, as of December 31, 2013)
- Paid-in capital: 22,400 million yen
- Sales: 347,724 million yen (consolidated, year ended March 2013)
DSP defines its corporate mission to broadly contribute to society through value creation based on innovative research and development activities for the betterment of healthcare and fuller lives for people worldwide. By pouring all efforts into the research and development of new drugs, DSP aims to provide innovative and effective pharmaceutical solutions to people not only in Japan but also around the world.
An outline of Teikoku Seiyaku:
- Representative: Misako Fujioka,
- Location: 567 Sambonmatsu, Higashikagawa, Kagawa
- Establishment: May 1918
- Businesses: Manufacturing and sales of patch and tape formulations, traditional chinese herbal medicines, other pharmaceuticals, quasi-drugs and cosmetics
- Accounting year: 12 months ending on December 31 each year
- Employees: 665 (as of December 31, 2012)
- Paid-in capital: 100 million yen
- Sales: 25,011 million yen (year ended December 2012)
Teikoku Seiyaku specializes in "analgesic" and "transdermal" medications, based on the years of experience in development of anti-inflammatory/analgesic patch manufacturing technology. Our motto for "analgesic" drug development is "to release human- beings from the pain", and our "transdermal" drug development is not limited in the anti-inflammatory/analgesic field. Our goal is to improve the quality of life of people.